20 February 2011

Napier Cathedral

On many occasions I have walked past the Napier Cathedral and thought I should really look in there some time. So I did, dragging Peter with me.
It is very much a monument to concrete and in comparison to other cathedrals I have visited it is not really pretty. But in its own way it has a certain style. I think it is the proportions that give it that awe inspiring feeling of magnitude that you get in cathedrals. In no other building do you get that sense of all surrounding space. In my personal opinion I think the combination of the huge floating cross and the tiny rose window, emphasize the enormity of the height of the ceiling.
For me the main attraction of church buildings is the stain glass lead lights.
Some of which are very, very new.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails